Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 14:48:42 PDT 2014

On 4/24/2014 9:59 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 08:17:15 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> As if <b> hasn't always implied the semantics of "emphasis"
>> anyway...not that anyone's ever had any real use for semantic "which
>> text is emphasized?" for any purpose besides "Should this text be
>> rendered in bold/italic or not?"
>>
>> Funny though...I've never heard any of the semantic-web-loving,
>> <b>/etc haters complain about things like Markdown ;)
>
> I use semantic markup for emphasis where it's supported. Can't say I
> used markdown a lot, though I guess its semantics is more similar to
> that of semantic markup than visual markup, I can say wiki markup is.

Markdown:

*italic*
**bold**
**_bold and italic_**

Although it appears to implement those using <em> and <strong>, which
strikes me as completely pointless and roundabout.

> I'm thinking more about some standardization of web skins, then people
> will choose their web skin of choice just like on desktop system, and
> sites will use that chosen skin to present content and layout.

Unfortunately that'll never happen: It's already hard enough to get
*application* developers not to invent their own idiotic
user-disrespecting skin (with poorly homespun controls).