Redesign of dlang.org

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 25 09:07:19 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 at 16:13:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> So I'd dlang.org to foster a behavior depending on the
> available real estate, as follows:
>
> * Cap cpl at e.g. 110 on very large screens.
>
> * As the available width decreases, reduce cpl up to 60.
>
> * If cpl with sidebar falls below 60, remove the sidebar and
> obtain e.g. 80 cpl.
>
> * As the available width reduces further, allow reduction down
> to e.g. 35 cpl, and then require horizontal scrolling.

If the sidebar is not critical, then maybe get rid of it, why
bother? If you get 100 cpl on sites without sidebar, then on
sites with half page width dedicated for empty space, they would
get content at 50 cpl - still in range.

I'm not against 100 cpl, I'm against page width and 1300px, that
are much less meaningful values. In fact, that WCAG page displays
for me at full page width and 100 cpl, and it has small
stylesheet. Why not let user choose? All that complication also
results in overblown stylesheets, which are unmanageable without
a CSS preprocessor (yikes, just what they have there?). Why solve
problem you created yourself?