DIP61: Add namespaces to D

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 26 12:27:09 PDT 2014

"Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:ljgt9v$1psm$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Having a pragma to just add mangling doesn't deal with problems like:
>
>      namespace N { int foo(); }
>      namespace M { int foo(); }
>
>      foo();  // how to specify which one gets called?
>
> I.e. only addressing name mangling does not scale. Need actual scopes,
> too.

We already have a feature to manage conflicts and organisation in D code -
modules!  There is no need to add namespaces to do that, and if that's
really what you want it belongs in a completely different discussion.

The thing we can't (easily) do is mangle C++ namespaces, so a feature that
only affects mangling is perfect.

i.e. We don't need namespaces in D, because modules cover that.  We only
need namespace mangling.