D For A Web Developer

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 29 09:10:24 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 April 2014 at 15:17:10 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On 2014-04-29 10:41 AM, James wrote:
>> I have a friend that is a web developer. I, however want to
>> collaborate
>> with him, so I am trying to get him to learn D. I don't know
>> how to
>> persuade him! How can D be used to greatly assist an
>> HTML5/JavaScript
>> web developer? I decided to go here to get some good answers.
>> How can D
>> be used to interopt with modern web development?
>
> You should ask this in
> http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.vibed/
>
> But while we're here, maybe you could send him a link to
> http://vibed.org/ along with a link to
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm.html that he could read
> when he has 10 minutes
>
> I don't know how else you could convince him. Possibly
> benchmarks?
>
> http://atilanevesoncode.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/go-vs-d-vs-erlang-vs-c-in-real-life-mqtt-broker-implementation-shootout/
>
> Or an example of a dynamic web project backend?
>
> https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/tree/master/examples/web
> He might not be so familiar with type safety though, so then
> your arguments will have to be more technical - type safety is
> the only way you can ever scale a project because most bugs are
> caught by the compiler.
>
> He can keep using his front-end libraries too. Browsers don't
> run D code, they simply request bytes from it.
>
> Good luck!

Agree. Give vibe.d a try. If your friend uses dub to build it, it
should be pretty easy to get started. A basic server app is very
simple and straight forward to implement with vibe.d. Once the
server is running he can use his existing html / js files (the
server app just, well, "serves" them), or he can do more fancy
script like stuff with diet templates:

http://vibed.org/docs#html-templates
and
http://vibed.org/templates/diet

And yes, vibe.d is by an order of magnitude faster than your
usual web infrastructures.