D For A Web Developer

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 29 22:24:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 04:52 +0000, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> I've been working on Cmsed/Dvorm/Dakka specifically in the mind
> of a rather (major) web service. Haven't started it yet, but
> possibly next semester.
> I'm of the opinion that we all need to work together to get a
> damn nice web service framework together.

I would say from anecdotal observation, so no real significance, that
most languages end up with a number of frameworks:

1A. Full stack Web framework.
1B. Lightweight HTTP framework.
2A. Full feature networking framework.
2B. Lightweight networking framework.

In 1A we have JavaEE, Spring, RoR, Django, Grails, etc. In 2B we have
Sinatra, Ratpack, Flask, Bottle, etc. For 2A there is Twisted and 2B
asyncio (showing my Python bias here :-)

> I split up my ORM for this purpose so even if you don't want to
> use Cmsed you can use it at least. Won't be very nice for normal
> Vibe users though.

Grails is doing this at last (necessitated by supporting NoSQL as well
as SQL in the full stack). This is a positive aspect of "componentizing"
such large frameworks.

> I really do want help, Dakka (Actor framework) needs somebody who
> knows threading/networking communication. I'll eventually get it
> communicating with other nodes but.. Will opensource if there is
> interest.

I would love to help here, and indeed on a review of std.parallelism,
but I have committed my time to a revamp of GPars for Groovy 2.3 and
Java 8, so cannot take on another big task in the short term.

> Dvorm needs work to make it be usable with relational databases.
> At worse that means I need OpenDBX dlls for 32/64bit (wasn't as
> easy to compile as I thought).
> The hardest part really is how to handle indexes.

Pass I'm afraid, I cannot contribute on this front at all.

> Cmsed needs documentation by the bucket load. Its also blocked at
> the moment on dub to make it sensible to do reloading of
> templates/routes/models. Which will change the way you structure
> it.

Is it viable for Dub to support this? Is someone working on it to create
a pull request? Can SCons be an alternative here?

> Cmsed is already at the point of comparable to other web service
> frameworks in most other languages.

So why would I use it rather than RoR, Grails, Django, Java EE, Spring?
Not entirely a rhetorical question. It is good to know early in
development why it is worth doing the development rather than using
pre-existing tools.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk