D For A Web Developer

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 07:57:00 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 13:47:11 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> You might dislike this, but I think nimble servers and clean
> separation with javascript heavy clients are the future.
>
> What I don't want:
>
> - I have started to avoid server processing of forms,
> javascript/ajax gives better user experience.

I don't really agree, I do as much work as I can on the server, I
like the AJAX stuff to be as stupid simple as setting innerHTML.
(Indeed, web.d's automatic javascript has helper functions for
this: Server.getSomeData(args).useToReplace(some_element); )

It makes it a lot simpler and gives good compatibility since the
client is pretty thin.

> - I avoid advanced routing, it adds little and leads to harder
> to maintain code, give me a regexp based routing table in one
> location binding request-handlers.

aye, I think routing is generally ridiculous.

> - Server side generation should be kept minimal, prevents
> caching.

That's not really true. You can cache individual parts on the
server and in some cases, cache the whole page on the client too.

Of course, doing things on the server may not need to be cached
anyway because you don't have the lag of a million http requests
in putting it together.