python vs d

Brian Rogoff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 09:38:01 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 11:41:29 UTC, logicchains wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 April 2014 at 17:05:50 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:
>> You must be perpetually perplexed then, because Haskell,
>> Clean, F#, Nimrod and many other languages also use
>> whiitespace to signify indentation.
>
> I suppose I haven't found the whitespace in Haskell and F# so
> bothersome because the static type systems catch most of the
> mistakes at compile time that would occur in Python. Haskell
> also allows optional braces instead of whitespace (whitespace
> is just syntactic sugar for braces), which can be quite useful
> at times, especially when copying code.

Right, it's not the significant indentation which perplexes you,
but the complete lack of compile time checking from Python. I'm
perplexed that anyone could prefer that too, but I suppose those
programmers who are way smarter than me and don't make any
mistakes find types burdensome, or are always writing correct
code that can't be type checked by any current checker.