D For A Web Developer

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 09:41:57 PDT 2014

On 4/30/2014 11:04 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> A big difference though is the compiler helps you a lot in D. In Ruby,
> for example, the main reason we use the unit tests (so far) is to help
> ensure consistency after refactoring something. It catchings things like
> a renaming we missed, or a removed method still in use.

This has a lot to do with why I don't buy the common argument that
dynamic languages are all about "just getting shit done".

Anytime I use them, they just create more work for me. Writing more
sanity checks. More hours debugging. More work to optimize hotspots.
More time figuring out Tracebacks I'm getting from code I didn't even
write or from tools I'm simply trying to install. Etc.

> In D, you just recompile and those things are found almost instantly
> without needing to actually run any code.

Gotta love it :)