D For A Web Developer

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 13:00:50 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 18:04 +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> I've looked closely at Django. I find it more convenient to use
> smaller independent libraries inspired by Django than using the
> framework itself.

If you have a "full stack" solution to a problem then Django does work
quite well, however most of my use is far from "full stack" so Flask,
Bottle, Twisted and Tornado are my "go to" (*) Python frameworks

> The problem with frameworks that are supposed to support a plugin
> architecture is that they become complex and not very
> transparent. That makes debugging harder, and you need to debug
> because plugins don't always integrate well with each other. So
> at the end of the day you spend time struggling with debugging
> complex mechanics that you only need to support plugins. With a
> more nimble environment you spend less time debugging (or trying
> to figure out what a plugin actually does) and more time coding
> stuff that fits the requirements.

For "lightweight" problems, "full stack" frameworks are a disaster.
Hence the "lightweight" frameworks. Flask + SQLAlchemy is a very popular
combination. I'm not sure what the D equivalent is but I guess it is
vibe.d + ???.

[…]
> Well, I only know Go from Google App Engine. Browse the
> hello-world tutorial and you'll see that the Python version is
> more legible (?):

I treat GAE as an anti-pattern.

(*) Are we allowed to have gotos any more since Dijkstra's letter?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk