D For A Web Developer

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 13:17:50 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 20:00:59 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> If you have a "full stack" solution to a problem then Django
> does work
> quite well, however most of my use is far from "full stack" so

Depends on what "full stack" is meant to cover. I haven't found a
single full-fledged forum software framework for Python, but
plenty for PhP. So in the end "full stack" isn't really enough.
You still end up having to integrate with "foreign" systems.

> Flask,
> Bottle, Twisted and Tornado are my "go to" (*) Python frameworks

Ok, those are so lightweight that they are very close to being
libraries.

> For "lightweight" problems, "full stack" frameworks are a
> disaster.

Yeah, but I think they are a disaster because they don't follow
the times. :-) Lightweight do, well at least they are remade or
forked.

>> Well, I only know Go from Google App Engine. Browse the
>> hello-world tutorial and you'll see that the Python version is
>> more legible (?):
>
> I treat GAE as an anti-pattern.

Hehe, but webapp2 + jinja2 isn't all that different from Flask
and Bottle (which also can run on GAE).

I am under the impression that Go for GAE is written by the Go
Team? So it shouldn't be an anti-pattern… (?)

> (*) Are we allowed to have gotos any more since Dijkstra's
> letter?

You better ask the dining philosophers.