assume, assert, enforce, @safe

Daniel Gibson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 1 09:58:16 PDT 2014

Am 01.08.2014 18:47, schrieb Daniel Murphy:
> "Daniel Gibson"  wrote in message news:lrgcei$211u$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> I'm a bit surprised that back then your reaction was not "well, that's
>> a neat idea, but people must know about it, so let's make it explicit
>> in the documentation".
>
> Haha, I think back then there were much more serious issues with D, like
> abundant segfaults and a development team of ~2.

It's not like adding two sentences describing this would take forever.

>> If assert() would have been documented or even advertised as "can be
>> used for optimizations by compilers in release mode" from day one,
>> this discussion wouldn't have started or at least would have been over
>> very soon.
>
> I expect that even if it had been documented, people would have
> completely ignored it, and would still be arguing for the exact same
> positions.

They could be told "look, it's written in the language spec (and has
been for a long time), deal with it".
Maybe there still would be /some/ discussion, but certainly not as much
as we're currently seeing - and it could be ignored of a good reason.

Cheers,
Daniel