assume, assert, enforce, @safe

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 2 13:08:42 PDT 2014

Am Sat, 02 Aug 2014 12:34:54 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> > But even if I
> > could think of a better name, I think that we're stuck with -debug
> > at this point.
>
> One thing that people hate even more than breaking existing code is
> breaking their makefile (or equivalent).
>
> Makefiles typically are cut&pasted from some other project, with the
> switches copied over without review. Worse, the switches sometimes
> come in from macros, and scripts are written to drive the makefiles,
> and it becomes a wholly unmaintainable tangle.
>
> Programmers have gotten a lot better about writing clear,
> maintainable code, but I can't say the same for the build process.
> Those are worse than ever.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw

Wait - are you arguing that we can't change the name of a compiler flag
because users would have to do a 'search&replace' in their Makefiles,
but breaking existing code (assert/assume) which will be very hard to
track down for users is OK, cause 'that code was broken anyway'?

We could also argue that Makefiles using '-debug' are broken anyway,
cause the name debug doesn't match the behavior of the compiler and
users will likely expect a different behavior.