assert semantic change proposal

David Bregman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 18:59:30 PDT 2014

On Monday, 4 August 2014 at 01:17:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 8/3/14, 5:57 PM, David Bregman wrote:
>> On Monday, 4 August 2014 at 00:24:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:

>>> I thought I just did.
>>
>> You made some generic statements about performance being good.
>> This is
>> obvious and undisputed. You did not answer any concerns raised
>> in the
>> OP. I am left to wonder if you even read it.
>
> I did read it. Forgive me, but I don't have much new to answer
> to it.
>
> It seems you consider the lack of a long answer accompanied by
> research and measurements offensive, and you also find my
> previous answers arrogant. This, to continue what I was
> mentioning in another post, is the kind of stuff I find
> difficult to answer meaningfully.

Well, I don't want this to devolve to ad hominem level. I never
used the word offensive by the way, though I will admit to being
temporarily offended by your description of my carefully
constructed post as a self important rehash :)

Basically, I didn't find your reply useful because, as I said,
you were simply stating a generality about performance (which I
agree with), and not addressing any concerns at all.

If you don't have time to address this stuff right now, I
completely understand, you are an important and busy person. But
please don't give a generality or dodge the question, and then
pretend the issue is addressed. This is what I call arrogant and
it is worse than no reply at all.

w.r.t the one question about performance justification: I'm not
necessarily asking for research papers and measurements, but
based on these threads I'm not aware that there is any
justification at all. For all I know this is all based on a wild
guess that it will help performance "a lot", like someone who
optimizes without profiling first. That certainly isn't enough to
justify code breakage and massive UB injection, is it? I hope we
can agree on that much at least!