What have I missed?

safety0ff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 8 15:46:43 PDT 2014

On Friday, 8 August 2014 at 22:28:56 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> On Friday, 8 August 2014 at 21:35:59 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
> wrote:
>> FYI
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2248
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2249
>>
>> These were mostly bugfixes not trying to fix any design flaws.
>
>  Yeah doesn't look like any of my code. Unfortunately due to
> the huge re-write i did most of those fixes go in the garbage
> (my rewrite probably covered most of them anyways).

Yea, one of those was my code and the other was somebody else's
PR that I revived since they weren't responding.

I was moving forward with the philosophy that we should make the
existing implementation as correct as possible and leave new
features to new designs.

I think it will be difficult to make a "one size fits all"
BitArray that satisfies everybody's wishes.
E.g.:
Bit level slice operations versus performance.
Value semantics versus D slice semantics.
Having compatibility with other parts of phobos versus having a
maximum of 2^35-1 bits on a 32 bit system.

This is not as bad making a one size fits all fixed point
integer, but it's not pleasant either.