const int vs. int const

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 16 17:12:28 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 16 August 2014 at 19:43:36 UTC, Fool wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 August 2014 at 19:23:48 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> Yes, and for this case it is not worth it.
>
> This shows one more time that D needs a tool (similar to gofix)
> that allows automatic conversion of source code compatible with
> version x to code compatible with version x + 1.

I agree, but it's going to take you, I, or another motivated
individual to build it.  It's existence might help influence the
attitude towards breaking changes.

I'm considering working on it, embarking on yet another tangent
of my tangent.

A good start would be to create a utility in the
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools, and add the
ability to change `alias existingSymbol newSymbol` to 'alias
newSymbol = existingSymbol`.  With this in place, it could set a
precedent for adding more language upgrades.  Brian, if you have
this code (or a start) in your short-term
memory, please share.

The D gatekeepers could help by putting some (non)verbal support
behind such a tool.

Mike