[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 21 06:49:10 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 04:59:18AM +0000, Hubert via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oicmwoboku136jq/dlang_test_redesign.png
>
> My emphasis has been on creating a friendly first impression; a
> lightweight page to introduce newcomers to D and get them started
> quickly. I think this is a sane design approach when it comes to D's
> current position in the "market". I've not yet begun any work on the
> views for the documentation and similar pages with a larger amount of
> copy.
>
> (I hope I haven't missed any earlier design proposal that already
> looks like this.)
[...]

Please don't take this personally, but frankly, I don't like this
design. It's too minimalistic, the choice of color is too garish, and
the logo looks amateurish. There is too much space in the center of the
page, while squeezing the real information to the sides. I very much
dislike the current splash page + "get started" / "learn more" trend, an
anachronism from the 90's. It requires too much effort to get to the
meat of the site, and serves little purpose except to fill up space.
More navigation can be put on the front page without requiring
inordinate amounts of clicks to reach (properly laid out, of course, to
avoid clutter).

Having said that, though, I like the concept of putting the
"convenience, power, efficiency" slogans in a prominent place, side by
side. That's something far superior to the current layout we have, where
most people won't even see everything until they scroll down.

Unix is my IDE. -- Justin Whear