[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 21 11:05:42 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 21 August 2014 at 04:59:20 UTC, Hubert wrote:
> First I wanna say that I've become a huge fan of D, and I hope
> one day I can replace all my creative projects with a D
> codebase. With that said, I do agree that D could use a
> redesign. I've not been monitoring this thread very closely,
> but the design suggestions I've seen so far has dissapointed
> me. Don't misunderstand me; the proposals look good, but they
> are in my opinion too conservative.
>
> Now I've given it a shot and created a first draft on how I
> imagine a future Dlang.org could/should look like, keep in mind
> that nothing is final yet:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oicmwoboku136jq/dlang_test_redesign.png
>
> My emphasis has been on creating a friendly first impression; a
> lightweight page to introduce newcomers to D and get them
> started quickly. I think this is a sane design approach when it
> comes to D's current position in the "market". I've not yet
> begun any work on the views for the documentation and similar
> pages with a larger amount of copy.
>
> (I hope I haven't missed any earlier design proposal that
> already looks like this.)

I'm not a fan of the colours and the general way it looks, but I
do really like the three columns of text for the three big
points. I'm not sure how to put that on a home page and keep some
consistent navigation in place, so that would require some
playing around with. You could maybe sacrifice sidebar navigation
on the home page to allow enough space to fit in the text columns
at 1024px width, I'm not sure.

A few other people have mentioned fluid container widths. I
actually know exactly what to do with that, I just haven't gotten
around to doing it yet. I think I make some progress, but then
life gets in the way a little bit. I'll come back to it soon and
work a little more on the site.