Do everything in Java…

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 4 06:20:02 PST 2014

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 13:48:04 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's an argument for Java over Python specifically but a bit
> more
> general in reality. This stood out for me:
>

> !…other languages like D and Go are too new to bet my work on."
>

> http://www.teamten.com/lawrence/writings/java-for-everything.html

I stand by him.

Since 2004, our projects are either pure Java stacks or .NET
stacks depending on the customer.

When people compare new languages against Java, .NET and friends
they always forget how rich the eco-systems are in terms of
tooling.

Go, D and Rust might win over the poor tooling C and C++
developers have, but not over the richness Java and .NET worlds
enjoy in application monitoring, IDEs and libraries.

Now with Java and .NET official SDKs supporting AOT compilation,
instead of forcing developers to buy commercial AOT compilers,
the eco-systems are even better.

This is why, at least on my area of work, enterprise consulting.
It is very hard to sell alternatives to the JVM and .NET
eco-systems, like D.

It is a world that has left C++ in the mid-2000 and fully
embraced GC based languages and their eco-systems.

Being just better than C++ isn't enough.

--
Paulo