Do everything in Java…

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 07:59:58 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-12-06 at 07:33 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Whoa. So they're basically going to rely on JIT to convert those
> boxed Integers into hardware ints for performance? Sounds like I
> will never consider Java for computation-heavy tasks then...

Exactly the opposite, the JVM and JIT technology is getting to the
stage where boxing and hence unboxing happens less and less. For most
computationally intensive tasks there will be no boxing and unboxing
at all.

Currently I still have to use primitive types to get Java to be faster
than C and C++, but there are hints that the next round of JIT
technology and JVM improvements will make that unnecessary.

Of course there are elements in the JVM-verse who think that primitive
types are the only way of doing this and that relying on JVM/JIT
technology is anathema. This is still a moot point, no decisions as
yet.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk