Do everything in Java…

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 10:44:13 PST 2014

On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 15:35:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 03:26:08PM +0000, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> >    primitive are passed by value; arrays and user defined
>> > types are
>> > passed by reference only (killing memory usage)
>>
>> Primitive types are scheduled for removal, leaving only
>> reference
>> types.
> [...]
>
> Whoa. So they're basically going to rely on JIT to convert
> those boxed
> Integers into hardware ints for performance? Sounds like I will
> never
> consider Java for computation-heavy tasks then...

It the same approach taken by .NET, Eiffel and many other
languages.

Just because it looks like an object to the eyes of the
programmer, it doesn't mean it is one.

So when Java finally gets value types (either on 9 or 10 if the
effort is too much), then primitives might become alias just like
in .NET.

--
Paulo