DIP69 - Implement scope for escape proof references

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 8 14:57:42 PST 2014

On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 23:59:01 UTC, Piotrek wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 11:06:16 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2014-12-06 10:50, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>>> I've been over it so many times.
>>
>> I suggest you take the time and write down how your vision of
>> "ref" looks like and the issue with the current
>> implementation. A blog post, a DIP or similar. Then you can
>> easily refer to that in cases like this. Then you don't have
>> to repeat yourself so many times. That's what I did when there
>> was a lot of talk about AST macros. I was tired of constantly
>> repeating myself so I created a DIP. It has already saved me
>> more time than it took to write the actual DIP.
>
> @Manu
> Seconded. Please create even short one. I coulnd'd find any
> example of use case you are referring to (as you said I don't
> use D"ref" so often) . I plan to apply D for embedded systems,
> so full control is a must. But so far Water still has the most
> accurate taste according to my experience.
>
> BTW. I consider game devs to be the most underpaid programmers,
> so your perspective is very precious to me.
>
> Cheers
> Piotrek

I'd like to not polute this thread with the ref topic.

Long story short:
   - it is hard to know if something is ref, making it hard to
metaprogram.
   - you sometime want to switch ref on and off (for instance, you
may use ref to avoid copies, which is not worthwhile for small
values) which is complex.
   - auto ref do not cut it.

That is the extra short version, please start a thread on the
subject. Please, please, this one is complicated enough.