Do everything in Java…

Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 11 04:11:35 PST 2014

> the core of the component framework a-la BlackBox Component
> Builder is
> dynamic module system. this requires dynamic linker, and the
> linker
> must know alot about framework internals to be fast and usable.
> with
> precompiled modules which keeps symbolic information and ASTs
> for
> templates such linker can be written as independend module.

You'll still need to compile everything that is a template, so
you'd have
to provide a compiler as an independent module. That would be
quite need, but
I don't see how this couldn't work with current object files.
There is a REPL
using compilation to .so files and dynamical linking, after all.

If what you have in mind is indeed impossible with current object
files, it may
be worthwhile to create our own. But as I see it, the only
benefit of storing an AST is compilation speed, which currently
is not dominated by parsing.

How would your precompiled modules differ from ELF except that
they'd contain an AST for things that didn't emit the machine
code yet?