D game development: a call to action

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 13 23:20:48 PST 2014

On 14 December 2014 at 16:57, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:04:45 +1000
> Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm also very interested in experiments writing game code on
>> commercial-style engines.
>> Hobby engines are nice, but we will get a much better feel for using D
>> in the AAA games industry if a commercial-style engine is used.
> what is "commercial-style engine"? as far as i know, "commercial-style"
> means "unmaintainable pile of shit".

Hard to describe... just the sort you'd find in a big commercial game.
Perhaps I could say something like, highly optimised and purpose
specific, as opposed to generalised and flexible/object oriented.

The industry needs anecdotal experience with the types of tools that
are already in use to gain confidence.