D game development: a call to action

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 13 23:55:11 PST 2014

On 12/13/2014 11:39 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 14 December 2014 at 17:25, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 12/13/2014 5:00 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> my engine: https://github.com/TurkeyMan/fuji
>>

>> Please set fuji up at http://code.dlang.org !
>
> It's totally incompatible with dub. How does code.dlang.org deal with
> foreign build systems?
> It's very complex to package, since it supports so many optional
> features, platforms, and various multimedia API's for each platform.
>
> I use premake to create projects/makefiles, which I've been
> maintaining D support for years.
> The typical way is to just make the engine repo a submodule and extend
> the buildsystem to the host app (FeedBack is the best example).

The thing is, merely having the code there on github and referring to it now and
then in the n.g. will result in likely:

     0

users. People are going to look for code like yours on code.dlang.org, and if it
isn't there, they will assume it does not exist.

"Build it and they will come" is a stupid hollywood myth. It will never happen.
So many excellent D projects have died because the creators did:

     0

promotion, and nobody used it. Please do not let this happen to your work!

I recommend:

1. find a way to make it work on dub. Ask for help. (Martin and Dmitry have been
graciously helping me get my code up on dub.)

2. write article(s) about it, post them on your blog site, and ask someone to
link 'em to Reddit.

3. announce it on gamedev.net

4. talk about it everywhere on the internet where game devs hang out

5. submit a presentation proposal about it for Dconf 2015, and every other
programming conference. How about YOW 2015, it's even in Australia!

P.S. This applies to everyone writing open source D projects.