i want my bounty!

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 15 02:37:21 PST 2014

On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 10:24:38 UTC, Artem Tarasov wrote:
> On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 10:11:37 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> nope. i'm accepting the fact that D is doomed to be a toy,
>> which
>> ocasionally used here and there. i tried to fight with this,
>> but this
>> fight is lost before it's started. and now i surrender.
>
> Very true.
> This community doesn't invite contributions. They are happy to
> run around throwing in ideas for you to implement, but nobody
> will take your code and improve upon it. With this in mind, if
> I ever find some piece of functionality missing in Phobos, I'll
> write a simple implementation for myself, but will never bother
> to make a pull request (where I'll hear that not using
> pure-const-nothrow-safe all over the place is a sign of an
> unbeliever, and thus I'm not allowed in their circles; sorry,
> exaggerating a bit).

Taking code of someone else and improving it will generally take
more time than writing one of my own from scratch that will
conform to all strict requirements contributing to standard
library / compiler implies. That is exactly why such contribution
is second-class (probably even third-class) citizen - it is
simply too far away effort-wise from something that can be used.

Contributing something new to C++ standard library - now THAT is
hard :) In D is simply a matter of willingness to do a quality
effort, something any regular contributor will gladly help with
as long as there is that willingness.

Unfortunately people often underestimate the gap between solution
that "works good enough for me" and "work good enough for
everyone using stdlib". std.experimental.logger is a pretty good
example of how many concerns one needs to address to actually get
there. And if you are not willing to spend that much effort doing
personal implementations is just fine and expected.

Really I have a hard time imagining any open source project with
quality control were contributing upstream would be less
demanding.