Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 02:44:25 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:21:53 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:41:06 +1000
> Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> Do we have any vector's into Microsoft to get fixes for D'd
>> debugging
>> experience into their debugger? Are there any sympathetic
>> developers
>> at MS?
> haha. they can't do C99 for decades, so i bet that seeing Hell
> frozen
> is much more realistic scenario.

Why should they? The product is called Visual C++.

It is 30 years now, C++ compiler vendors don't need to sell their
language to C developers any longer.

Microsoft already stated that C++ is the way forward and C is
only for backwards compatibility.

http://herbsutter.com/2012/05/03/reader-qa-what-about-vc-and-c99/

Since Windows XP most new Windows APIs are COM based, good luck
writing COM code in C.

As of Windows 7, the kernel started to accept C++ code.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj620896%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Recently they added the C99 features required by the C++11 and
C++14 standards. And stressed once again at Connect, that any
remaining feature depends how relevant they are for Microsoft
customers.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/029

If you want to still use a modern C compiler, there are third
party compilers to choose from.

Personally I vote for Microsoft approach, C++ allows for much
safer coding than C and the C subset is still there anyway.

--
Paulo