Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 03:00:33 PST 2014

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:44:25 +0000
Paulo  Pinto via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:21:53 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:41:06 +1000
> > Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Do we have any vector's into Microsoft to get fixes for D'd
> >> debugging
> >> experience into their debugger? Are there any sympathetic
> >> developers
> >> at MS?
> > haha. they can't do C99 for decades, so i bet that seeing Hell
> > frozen
> > is much more realistic scenario.
>
> Why should they? The product is called Visual C++.
so why their c++ compiler still accepts c code? "for compatibility"?
oh, eah, it's very "compatible" to accept ancient C89 and to reject
C99.

> Microsoft already stated that C++ is the way forward and C is
> only for backwards compatibility.
idiots, that's it.

> Since Windows XP most new Windows APIs are COM based, good luck
> writing COM code in C.
i'm still succesfully using winapi. what am i doing wrong? ah, except
resisting to "platform lock-in" with all that COM BS.

> If you want to still use a modern C compiler, there are third
> party compilers to choose from.
and if i want a modern C++ compiler, i will not chose msvc, as my
workflow is already built around completely different tools. having in
mind that there are alot of C code around, msvc is the worst
possible choise. (ah, and visual studio sux too! ;-)

> Personally I vote for Microsoft approach, C++ allows for much
> safer coding than C and the C subset is still there anyway.
this is about consistency again. either stop accepting half-baked C and
go with pure C++ or fix the damn thing!

but this is ms... a long-time vendor of half-backed solutions for the
problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.