Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 07:15:28 PST 2014

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:01:30 +0000
Wyatt via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > besides, msdn references are exactly what phobos documentation
> > is: description of functions. will msdn reference dox help you
> > to learn msvc? yet you citing it as "high-quality" and blaming
> > phobos dox for doing (or, rather, not doing) the same.
> >
> And yet they have much better organisation and they're much _less
> noisy_.
did you seen at least one template in winapi? and at least one
constrained template? it's easy to remove constraints from phobos dox.
guess what people will say then? "dox is awful, there are no clearly
seend constraints there!"

> This is what we mean when we talk about "quality" in
> documentation.  Hell, a lot of CPAN docs are easier to follow
> than the Phobos stuff, and that's _Perl_ for crissakes!
either i forgot something, or perl doesn't have templates too.

> Bull.  D isn't magic and expecting that people need to set aside
> a chunk of time to "learn" it is really silly.
i hope such people will never adopt D.

> But it's not as
> silly as the idea that you don't learn the language by diving in.
using the tools you never used before, without training, to solve
production tasks. this is what seems to be silly for me.

>   You know, by using it (and the standard library) to solve a
> problem?  This is simply how people pick up new programming
> languages.
so i'm not a human then.

> It's more akin to the Haskell reaction: "This seems neat, but
> it's asking way too much of me and I don't have time for it."  We
> know this isn't how the language _actually_ is; that it's really
> quite forgiving and friendly if you know any other curly-braces
> language, but you'd never know by looking at the docs.
if people want to use reference documentation to learn the language, i
myself prefer this people to use anything except D. and i bet that php
is what they want.