Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 08:08:43 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 15:15:41 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:01:30 +0000
> Wyatt via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> > besides, msdn references are exactly what phobos
>> > documentation
>> > is: description of functions. will msdn reference dox help
>> > you
>> > to learn msvc? yet you citing it as "high-quality" and
>> > blaming
>> > phobos dox for doing (or, rather, not doing) the same.
>> >
>> And yet they have much better organisation and they're much
>> _less noisy_.
> did you seen at least one template in winapi? and at least one
> constrained template? it's easy to remove constraints from
> phobos dox.
> guess what people will say then? "dox is awful, there are no
> clearly
> seend constraints there!"
>
>> This is what we mean when we talk about "quality" in
>> documentation.  Hell, a lot of CPAN docs are easier to follow
>> than the Phobos stuff, and that's _Perl_ for crissakes!
> either i forgot something, or perl doesn't have templates too.
>
>> Bull.  D isn't magic and expecting that people need to set
>> aside a chunk of time to "learn" it is really silly.
> i hope such people will never adopt D.
>
>> But it's not as silly as the idea that you don't learn the
>> language by diving in.
> using the tools you never used before, without training, to
> solve
> production tasks. this is what seems to be silly for me.
>
>>   You know, by using it (and the standard library) to solve a
>> problem?  This is simply how people pick up new programming
>> languages.
> so i'm not a human then.
>
>> It's more akin to the Haskell reaction: "This seems neat, but
>> it's asking way too much of me and I don't have time for it."
>> We know this isn't how the language _actually_ is; that it's
>> really quite forgiving and friendly if you know any other
>> curly-braces language, but you'd never know by looking at the
>> docs.
> if people want to use reference documentation to learn the
> language, i
> myself prefer this people to use anything except D. and i bet
> that php
> is what they want.

Btw, a guy I know could go into a D program I had written and
change things as needed by simply looking at the code and the
library reference. He had no previous knowledge of D. It is
possible to do that in D as well. In order to use the full power
of the language, you have to invest time, however. Same goes for
any of the more complex languages.