Do everything in Java…

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 17 12:03:00 PST 2014

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:47:24 -0800
Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> >> Storing it as body IR accomplishes nothing practical over storing it as source
> >> file, i.e. .di files.
> > except that there's no need to parse source code over and over again,
> > which is good for other tools (like completion suggesting, intelligent
> > code browsing and so on).
> >

> Yeah, you just need to write another parser for the binary format, rather than
> reuse a canned D parser. :-)

yes. but with good design the mmaped binary file can be used as data
structure. and we can avoid lookaheads that current textual parser do,
as we already got AST built for us. just drop the idea that binary file
must be small (in a sense of "squeezing bytes by clever integer
encoding" and such) and portable, and think about "how can we use this
mmaped?" with very good design we can also generate readers and writers
almost automatically from AST definitions.