Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 02:24:36 PST 2014

On 17 December 2014 at 20:33, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:48:26 +0000
> Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> std.container.Array(T) if(is(Unqual!T == bool)) vs.
>> std.container.Array(T) if(!is(Unqual!T == bool)).
>>
>> That's super unhelpful for newcomers.
> that's why newcomers should NOT try to learn the language using
> reference documentation for standard library.
>
> when i started to learn D, i found and read Andrei's book, Ali's book
> and Philippe's "template tutorial". and i never complained that phobos
> reference documentation is "hostile to beginners" -- 'cause it's NOT
> for beginners. you are expected to learn the language before reading
> reference dox.

I couldn't disagree more. People aren't allocated work time to read books.
Books are for students or language enthusiasts who want to learn about
programming in their home time. That doesn't apply to most
professional programmers I've ever worked with.
Most people just want to go home to their wives and kids.

Docs need to have examples which are plain and obvious, and the
language will be absorbed by osmosis.