Lost a new commercial user this week :(

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 03:36:14 PST 2014

On Thursday, 18 December 2014 at 10:24:46 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 17 December 2014 at 20:33, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:48:26 +0000
>> Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> std.container.Array(T) if(is(Unqual!T == bool)) vs.
>>> std.container.Array(T) if(!is(Unqual!T == bool)).
>>>
>>> That's super unhelpful for newcomers.
>> that's why newcomers should NOT try to learn the language using
>> reference documentation for standard library.
>>
>> when i started to learn D, i found and read Andrei's book,
>> Ali's book
>> and Philippe's "template tutorial". and i never complained
>> that phobos
>> reference documentation is "hostile to beginners" -- 'cause
>> it's NOT
>> for beginners. you are expected to learn the language before
>> reading
>> reference dox.
>
> People aren't allocated work time to read books.

That sucks. It's not universally true though: I have friends in
finance and in scientific programming who are allowed to spend
work time reading books, testing out new ideas, exploring new
techniques and the background behind them. One guy even has 1
(paid) day off a fortnight to go to universities and meet with
academics to discuss techniques and work on problems.