Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 20 06:17:24 PST 2014

On 2014-12-20 08:46, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Perhaps this is habit, retained from a time where the tooling was
> unreliable? You probably haven't spent the majority of your career in
> an environment where you could reliably rely on them, and then as a
> result, never came to rely on them?

I have tried debugging DMD using Xcode. Very often when I inspect
variables the debugger thinks they're null when they're not. Quite often
I don't have access to all variables I thought I would have access to.

I don't know if it's something special about the DMD code base, I have
always thought of it as quite simple, no templates or use of the C++
standard library. Perhaps the Visual Studio debugger would work better.

But when it do work it can be very handy.

At work I have used a debugger, although this is for Ruby, which is a
lot more reliable and a real pleasure to use. I can navigate inside
objects, inspect their private state, call private methods and other
more fancy stuff. Very handy.

--
/Jacob Carlborg