Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Daniel Davidson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 20 10:08:05 PST 2014

On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 19:20:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/19/2014 7:38 AM, Daniel Davidson wrote:
>> Could this lack of need be
>> attributable to understanding of the entire code base being
>> used?
>
> No. It's attributable to I use different methods of debugging.
>
> The dmd source code is littered with debugging aids I've
> written. The classic example is having a pretty-printer for
> each data structure. I don't find the typical debugger
> pretty-printer to be adequate at all - they never dump the type
> in the way that I think about the type.

Sure, sounds like a winning strategy. Probably not applicable,
but were you to run into an issue with vibe or websockets would
you proceed to write pretty printers for the supplied data
structures, the returned data structures, etc, or would you live
with the not so pretty gdb structures just to get your debug
session over with?

The point is it seems like more of your work on code is working
with your own code - i.e. fewer outside dependencies or outside
dependencies that you are intimately familiar with due to years
of experience. This reduces the benefit or need of the debugger.