What's missing to make D2 feature complete?

Peter Alexander via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 01:05:02 PST 2014

On Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 17:40:06 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> Just wondering what the general sentiment is.
>
> For me it's these 3 points.
>
> - tuple support (DIP32, maybe without pattern matching)
> - working import, protection and visibility rules (DIP22, 313,
> 314)
> - finishing non-GC memory management

In my mind there are a few categories of outstanding issues.

First, there are cases where the language just does not work as
advertised. Imports are an example of this. Probably scope as
well and maybe shared (although I'm not sure what the situation
with that is).

Second, there are cases where the language works as designed, but
the design makes it difficult to get work done. For example,
@nogc and exceptions, or const with templates (or const
altogether). Order of conditional compilation needs to be defined
(see deadalnix's DIP).

And finally there's the things we would really like for D to be
successful. Tuple support and memory management are examples of
those. This category is essentially infinite.

I really think the first two categories need to be solved before
anything is frozen.