What is the D plan's to become a used language?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 11:54:19 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 19:14:02 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> and so D. and i still has to learn libraries for all that. yet
> people
> talking Go being magic bullet: just use concurency and that's
> all!
>
> nope. that's not all. that's not even the biggest part.

Library support is really important when doing web servers and
integration with existing systems and workflows. This is not an
area where D will be able to compete anytime soon, it is a
crowded space: Java, Python, Ruby, Php, node.js and eventually
Go. I have to connect to Google infrastructure, to legacy
databases like Pervasive, parse Excel files, add encryption cross
platform etc... Every other project might need a new library if
you are to integrate with existing solutions, so there is really
no end to what you need to support...

Reality check on stuff that could be relevant for a server:

https://github.com/trending?l=go&since=monthly

4943 stars for Go
2947 stars for Rocket
1029 stars for Docker
747 stars for  ssh-chat
622 stars for Kubernetes
672 stars for Jason
672 stars for aws-go
594 stars for bone
405 stars for influxdb
364 stars for etcd
356 stars for surgemq
246 stars for kite

https://github.com/trending?l=d&since=monthly

28 stars for vibe.d
10 stars for phobos
6 stars for druntime
6 stars for libasync
5 stars for arsd

That's a wipe out...

> 1. take gw-basic.
> 2. take Google.
> 3. let Google to throw money into gw-basic hype.
> 4. people start writing alot of software in gw-basic.
>
> there is no direct corellation between "being good in technical
> sense"
> and "being successfull". but there is such corellation between
> "advertising by Big Player" and "being successfull".

There is a strong correlation between not having a stable release
and getting less attention from people who write libraries and
frameworks for commercial use.

Besides, Basic got traction at a time where people charged for
good languages, it was available for free and was not too
demanding on resources so it was built into the ROM on basically
all home computers in the 80s. That's how Basic got big.