What is the D plan's to become a used language?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 13:05:04 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 20:36:35 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> all that cloudy thing is another hype. ;-)

It is hyped, but it is going to grow since businesses can save
money on it. HP's The Machine also appears to be cloud centric.
It is pretty much well established across the board as the future
of computing.

> ahem... encryption algorithms are platform-independent. and
> your server
> is running on known platform. am i missing something here?

Not a big deal, but I'd rather have the same symmetric encryption
code on all platforms and be sure that the implementation is 100%
compatible with no corner cases.

This goes for all libraries:

I'd rather go for libraries+bindings that are tested by 1000s of
projects, not 50 or 100.

I'd rather use a language where there are multiple competing
libraries covering the same functionality so that I have another
place to go if one library turns out to be buggy.

If D is spread thin all over the place, then you simply will not
get the kind of attractive eco system that Go is building.

Having only one option is good enough for a hobby project. Having
only one option when you have signed a contract is a liability.

> the solution is easy: don't use things that have no C
> libraries. C is "linuga franca" in this case.

If the customer wants a full featured web-forum for support
integrated into his marketing web site... what options do you
actually have? One really sucky language... Not Go. Not Java. Not
Ruby. Not Python. Not D...

>> > yes, this is good indicator of "hypeness". that's all.
>> It is a good indicator of activity and direction.
> let me quote myself: "most people are morons." ;-)

We are all morons by thinking that morons cannot create great
things...