What's missing to make D2 feature complete?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 24 08:10:04 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 at 13:10:58 UTC, eles wrote:
> C++ is important. Go expected C++ programmers to come, they
> received only python & co. programmers. People form the C++
> world need something better. But they won't trade C++ for
> anything less than C++, even if the niche where D would fall
> behind C++ would be very narrow. In this case, even "very" ==
> "too little".

Yes, I agree. I think it is likely that a future version of Rust
with a little more streamlined syntax will take over for C++
unless some other language start to focus on C++ parity. And we
are not talking yesterdays C++, but next gen x86 C++. That means
4000 intrinsics, auto-vectorization and possibly whole program
optimization...

But Go is a strong contender in the non-interactive/non-realtime
space where people used to write programs in C/C++, but hardware
has improved enough to not warrant bleeding edge performance.
(Suitable for web server, not suitable for DSP...)