My wish for 2015...

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 25 12:00:41 PST 2014

On Thursday, 25 December 2014 at 14:55:32 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 December 2014 at 10:52:07 UTC, Martin Nowak
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 22:11:35 UTC, Xinok wrote:
>>> (1) We need a precise garbage collector. The fact that a
>>> garbage-collected language experiences memory leaks truly
>>> reflects poorly on on D.
>>
>> What's the reason for leakage? I'm a bit skeptical about the
>> precise GC work.
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1057#issuecomment-65918407
>
> Perhaps "leakage" is the wrong term to use here. I'm referring
> to the fact that a conservative garbage collector fails to
> distinguish between pointers and non-pointers, so it happens
> that dead objects fail to get collected. It's a much greater
> problem on 32-bit with the limited address space, especially if
> you perform many large allocations.

Ah OK, thought you had problems with stale stack values.
False pointers were discussed here
https://youtu.be/LQY1m_eT37c?t=23m0s, but it's an issue that only
affects few programs (32-bit with floats or random data in GC
scanned memory). So unless we can use precise GC info to speed up
marking, it will be a lot of work with little impact, even more
since we have Win64 support.