My wish for 2015...

Xinok via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 25 06:55:31 PST 2014

On Thursday, 25 December 2014 at 10:52:07 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 22:11:35 UTC, Xinok wrote:
>> (1) We need a precise garbage collector. The fact that a
>> garbage-collected language experiences memory leaks truly
>> reflects poorly on on D.
>
> What's the reason for leakage? I'm a bit skeptical about the
> precise GC work.
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/1057#issuecomment-65918407

Perhaps "leakage" is the wrong term to use here. I'm referring to
the fact that a conservative garbage collector fails to
distinguish between pointers and non-pointers, so it happens that
dead objects fail to get collected. It's a much greater problem
on 32-bit with the limited address space, especially if you
perform many large allocations.