DIP66 has been approved contingent to a few amendments as noted

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 27 08:10:56 PST 2014

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 14:27:09 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 at 14:27:38 UTC, eles wrote:

> It sounds like you have overly positive memories of D1. Working
> with it daily and especially dealing with all the compiler bugs
> we had back then (and still have with dmd1) - it is hardly an
> experience I'd want newcomer to have. Lacking quality of the
> toolchain kills any benefit from the language simplicity.

Ypu are comparing the D2 toolchain from today with the D1
toolchain from back then (as the work on the latter stalled when
the language was retired, and the bulk of the work on D2
toolchain - and language - was done in the last 1.5-2 years).

Back then I doubt that D2 toolchain was in better shape than D1.
Yes, the latter was doomed by the Phobos vs Tango issue, but that
wasn't the fault of the language.

But I do not discuss about toolchains, but about the language
versions (D1 and D2) themselves. Please, for the remaininig of
the discussion, let's not mix the language and the toolchain.

Point is, after so many years, D in its current incarnation (D2)
is in the same recurring stage (and I speak about the language):
on one hand, need to tie up some knots and ensure consistency and
stability of the language. On the other hands, the need to modify
the curren design and implement nicer features. I feel that the
two conflict too much already.

OTOH, D2's design is far from reaching the ideal, and many ideas
needs pushing the frontier even further.

The approach that I had in mind was to let D1 there for peple who
need to compile code and let D2 also there for people who need to
innovate their code. Then, once a feature is tested and re-tested
and the design of it is concidered to be optimal, it is migrated
from D2 to D1. It doesn't need to be immediately, but over a span
that could e even 6 months. People will have time to adapt their
skills and their code to integrate (or take advantage) of the new
feature.

Then, the new frontlines would become D1.1 and D2.1.