Lost a new commercial user this week :(

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 12:33:47 PST 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:09:08 +0000
Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> D, as a project, already has a firmly entrenched goal and it's
> motivation is to reach that goal. Anyone contributing to D must
> acknowledge that goal and be prepared to sustain it through their
> contributions. The goal is set by Walter and Andrei. The goals
> are (mostly) outlined here: http://dlang.org/overview.html
1. i can't see anything about "user-oriented" there.
2. if i don't care about anything written there, i should not
contribute? you keep saying "do as we say or GTFO"...

> When someone enquires about the progress of a particular feature
> they do not need to hear "contribute or gtfo". What they need is
> a civil answer preferably pointing to a roadmap.
...and that roadmap has only three words on it: "contribute or GTFO".

> Please don't say "I contribute and you don't so
> shut up". It make the entire community look like massive dicks.
it's better to be dick than to be a liar. it's obvious that we haven't
enough resources to comply with all user requests, so it's honest to
say: "if you want it -- DIY! otherwise it's unlikely to happen soon".
we are not a bunch of marketing shitheads, we MUST tell people the
truth, not tricking people so they will wait for something to happen
and then will go out frustrated by lies.

> Some people just
> aren't capable of contributing (me included). But that doesn't
> render their requests moot!
anyone is capable of contributing, it's not necessary about writing
a code. if enough people want some feature that developers aren't able
to deliver now, those people can cooperate and hire some programmer(s)
to implement the feature. i can assure you that this way they will get
their beloved feature much faster than by simply talking about how it's
missing. open-source is not about shouting in the box and then
magically getting result out of it. to get something you have either to
put something in or just silently wait until someone else will put
something into the box. shouting in the box will do nothing.

> I want to contribute, i want to push D forward, i'm slowly
> educating myself to a standard where i'm comfortable to be able
> to do so. This constant attitude however just makes me want to
> concentrate on other languages.
ah, the question is WHY do you want to contribute? what output you want
to get from being a contributor? i'm not trying to insult you here,
it's really important.