Non-pipeline component programming

Francesco Cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:51:33 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 at 10:24:57 UTC, Paul Freund wrote:
> We are currently working on the first "stable" version (and
> API). The master branch is the last working state but our
> current development is in the finalize_basics
> (https://github.com/Zoadian/nitro/tree/finalize_basics) branch,
> including a work in progress documentation. It should be ready
> to use and documented in a few days.

That's really good news! A friend of mine was trying to get an
entity system working with a etc.c.sqlite3 "backend", but right
now he isn't that much satisfied by it. The main reason for
having it on DB was having every component on a separate table,
and because we plan on having LOTS of entities (~1 Million) (a DB
should be able to handle that). Throw in the mix "free saving of
state on file" and you can see why he made this choice.

Taking a better look at it, your store every entity in a separate
table, too! If performance will be good, I think we might switch
to nitro for our project. Besides, I don't think that sqlite
performance is that great for the amount of granularity we need.
Pretty sure there are just too many casts going around. (3 bytes
integers??? ARE YOU SERIOUS?)