Reviving YAGE

Ryan Voots simcop2387 at simcop2387.info
Wed Feb 5 13:21:28 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 at 09:27:50 UTC, Benjamin Thaut
wrote:
> Am 29.01.2014 19:07, schrieb Ryan Voots:
>> I've started a fork of YAGE in an attempt to revive it.  So
>> far I'm
>> still working on porting it to build with dub and D2, but it's
>> coming
>> along faster than I had expected.  I figured I should let
>> people know in
>> case anyone wants to help.
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/simcop2387/yage
>
> How do you deal with GC pause times?

At the moment I don't think it really does deal with GC pause
times and it's one of the things that will need to be dealt with.
  I believe it's possible (I am still learning much of D) to tell
it to not do any GC during critical paths which should help
keeping it from mangling things mid-frame.  There also appears to
be some threading support already in the engine to do rendering
on a seperate thread which should help out at keeping frame rates
up if the GC can be kept to a minimum there.

In any case I'm not currently aiming for getting the engine
capable of 300fps with very low latency as it isn't necessary for
what I'm after though once it's working I certainly won't turn
down someone who wants to get it that far.

What I'm hoping to get out of this is more a basic framework for
relative ease for making games more like say the engine Unity
provides or some of the other things out there.