Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Thu Feb 6 05:19:26 PST 2014

On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 13:03:43 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> You would be amazed how many times I have written FFI code that
> decrypts source code on load.

You can probably create a decent decompiler for D-code given the
reliance on GC/stack frames etc, so I am not sure if that is a
rational point (perhaps a political one).

Let me put it this way then: If havoc is available as a poorly
adapted blob it will discourage development of a native idiomatic
open source D physics engine, because it pays off more to spend
time working around blob-related issues and get stellar
performance. With no physics engine you will have something
primitive in D instead, but the moment it is good enough for
creating simple apps people that are interested will improve on
that rather than working around Havoc issues. So, slower start,
but better for the eco system in the long term.