Disadvantages of building a compiler and library on top of a specific memory management scheme

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 09:08:51 PST 2014

"Ola Fosheim Grøstad" " wrote in message
news:frdycuzhjstlmgvgcjhy at forum.dlang.org...

> Nothing I wrote prevents that. You just don't get optimal performance if
> you base it off a backend that is optimized for a different language.

Not in theory, but it's like saying we shouldn't design the language based
on semantics of existing processors, because it will lead to non-optimal
performance on quantum computers.  The fact these tools/hardware/backends
already exist is worth a huge amount in producing a language that is useful,
even if not optimally optimal.