Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Feb 10 13:44:07 PST 2014

On Monday, 10 February 2014 at 21:17:22 UTC, Xavier Bigand wrote:
> Maybe if performances are not really critical, developers can
> already use Java or C# with a GC?

Or javascript actually, if you use the animation capabilities of
the browser engine…

> IMO D have to target all applications have to be written in
> C/C++, where performances or portability, scalability,... are
> critical.
> Java and C# developers already have a lot of good tools that
> C/C++ developers doesn't have, we need love too :-)
> D claims to be a system language so it's normal to expect to be
> able to use it on critical ways easily, and maybe lesser for
> simple applications can already done with actual proven
> technologies.

I share your views actually… so I trying to take the view that D
is not a C++ replacement, but a compiled C#. That makes it much
easier to accept the current state. :-)

I am no longer sure if I am able to view D as a system language.
Too many features that are not really important on the low level.
Too big runtime. And no strategy that points towards whole
program optimization. I'd personally much prefer less features,
more performance control and whole program optimization.

I distinctly remember doing profiling based whole program
optimization of c-programs on unix machines in the 1990s.
Seriously, that's 18+ years ago.