Phobos for Review: std.buffer.scopebuffer

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Feb 10 16:36:18 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 2:45 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> Prohibiting alternative is not "discouraging", it is prohibiting. Discouraging
> is providing both options and clearly stating which one is recommended. So far D
> has been a very permissive language in terms of user choice, it is strange to
> suddenly start making restrictions here.

Often more than one way to do something in Phobos is tolerated for backwards
compatibility reasons, not because it is a good idea on its own.

One old case comes to mind, where the author of a module wanted to provide both
an OOP interface and a free function interface to the same functionality, in the
name of "user choice". To me, this is giving some false illusion of flexibility,
when in fact it is merely clutter and bloat.