Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 12:02:43 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 17:55:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I think at this stage we need more people to start with.
> Someone pointed out recently we have 77 lifetime contributors
> to github, as opposed to e.g. Rust which has 292.

It's unfortunate that D's biggest competitor is Rust. Being
pushed by Mozilla means they automatically have access to a
larger pool of contributors that contribute to other Mozilla
stuff, who probably wouldn't have contributed to Rust otherwise.

However, I think DDMD will bring about a small bump in
contributors. Personally, I haven't used C++ in awhile, and I've
grown rusty. At this point, D is probably the language I'm most
comfortable with, especially for hacking on something complex
like a compiler. I imagine there are at least a few people who
feel the same way and are waiting for DDMD before they take a
crack at contributing.