Preflight of DUB 0.9.21 (RC 3)

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+dforum at outerproduct.org
Fri Feb 14 02:00:39 PST 2014

Am 14.02.2014 01:25, schrieb Etienne:
> On Thursday, 13 February 2014 at 20:17:39 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> The way it is now, it would be nice to have in a full repository like
>> the one Jordi Sayol maintains for Debian, but it's less practical for
>> direct distribution.
>
> I provided the dmd.spec because I took the opportunity to make one as
> well, but it's not a dependency here. It may be easier to install the
> most recent dmd master using it, because the RPMs for DMD are currently
> generated through these shell scripts:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/linux
>
> And I thought you may want to supply it with dub in case people are
> newcomers and want the most recent version.
>
> But the dub x64 RPM that is generated from this dub.spec file will be a
> binary file that depends only on libcurl, it carries a dub binary with
> some requirements and installation paths (/usr/bin).
>
> In any case, every time you issue a new dub release, you'll still need
> to generate a x64 DEB, x86 DEB, x64 RPM and x86 RPM file as well to
> distribute it on every linux platform. You should use debian 6 and
> fedora 18, always a couple versions behind, to make sure its not built
> against too recent libraries.
>
> Do you want me to provide something more convenient, or can you do with
> dub.spec files & rpmbuild?

Oh okay, I just misunderstood how the spec file works then. I'll just
change it to use the already checked out source and put it into the
installer folder [1] then.

Is it possible to make the package version dynamic to match the current
git tag somehow? For example by using an environment variable or by
passing the version to rpmbuild?

DEB packages are already kindly maintained by Jordi Sayol, so I can
leave those out.

[1]: https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/dub/tree/master/installer